Thursday, February 28, 2008

One more year until we pop open the champagne!

Or, the title could be 27 on the 28th.

Yeah, did you know that a champagne birthday, or golden birthday, is when you turn the age that matches your day of birth? I found this out because I couldn't think of any milestone I reached today at 27, and I did a google search on birthdays. How original am I?

Yeah, apparently, this woman - Joan Bramsch - made the idea up.

According to her website, "For over half a century the Bramsch family has celebrated each member's unique, once in a lifetime Golden Birthday. It began with our own five children, but the idea soon spread to our extended family and the families of all our friends."

Um, isn't every birthday a once in a lifetime event? I mean personally, I might stay 27 for the next five years, but factually, each birthday really is a unique 'event', right?

And now she has a book out about birthday plan ideas for this 'special' birthday. (Here is the link in case anyone wants to begin planning for my birthday party next year - ha!). What a great way to capitalize on a non-event event (yes, you read that correctly)! And this idea really kind of sucks for people born on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd, doesn't it? I mean, they don't remember it at all.

Damn. That was a lot of talk about a stupid subject. But it is my birthday, and that is the one day that I am allowed to say whatever I want and people have to tell me I'm brilliant. Or is that only on a specific birthday? I shall dub the 30th birthday the "Bow Down to me Because I'm Brilliant Birthday." Maybe I should write a book about all the things you could do on that day. Any publishing houses out there reading? Any takers?

**And for the record my BFF Kari will always be four days older and four days wiser. Make sure you wish her a belated birthday if you haven't already sent love and happiness her way. I love you, K!

6 comments:

Meaghan said...

Happy Birthday!

Though this is a great concept, I just learned about it. And considering I hit my 22nd birthday five years ago, I don't get to celebrate such a grand day this year. Whoa, I'll be 28 this year. That's scary!

Anyhoo, I hope you have a GREAT day!

andrea said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day :)

Senegal Daily said...

Four days older, wiser...and yet we still look the same age!

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday!

mary said...

Happy belated birthday~ and darn, i missed my champagne 5 years ago as well. Oh well.

Chris said...

Happy Birthday. That's cool that you just learned about the Golden Birthday and now have exactly one year to anticipate it.

Unfortunately, I was not able to partake in a champagne toast on my 13th birthday -- nor was I aware that I should have been entitled to one.