Sunday, August 1, 2010

My thrifty facial skin care routine

On July 20, the Georgia primary elections were held and my husband was working on one of the campaigns. His candidate lost. We were extremely upset, not only because the wrong man won and my hubby is now looking for work, but because the candidate is a good friend of our's. Also, my job has been really tough for the last week, so, needless to write (though I shall!), I have not been feeling up to writing a post. Until now.

See, we had a bunch of people over yesterday for a board meeting (and today, too - though a different bunch of people for a different board - and, for the record, I am "board" with meetings. Ha ha. See what I did there? I am a GENIUS with words. OK. Moving on.), and the girls were talking about blogs and it made me miss writing. So, yay for board meetings! I now rescind my earlier pun.

And what else is there to write about on a Sunday but skin care routines. What? You can think of a million other things to write about on a Sunday? Fine. Go away.

I love learning what other people do for their skin care routines because when I turned 23 (I'm 29 now) I suddenly had adult onset acne. It was not pretty, and I was embarrassed by my skin for about a year. Thankfully, my face cleared up after using Institut Esthederm Cellular Water facial cleanser and Bio-Hydrant moisturizer for just two weeks. Ridiculously expensive, these products worked miracles on my face. I am not saying they are cure-alls for everyone but I am SO glad they worked for me.

Again, the products were ridiculously expensive so I had to find an inexpensive alternative to maintain my clear skin. And the following routine is what I found, and what I have used for the last six years because it does such a great job.

Every morning and every single night, I wash my face with Oil of Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash for Sensitive Skin and apply Oil of Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin (includes sunblock - SPF 15 - very important!) all over my face AND my neck.





I have slathered my neck in moisturizer since I was about 12, when I read an article about how neck lines really show a person's age. I may be a wrinkled little prune by the time I am 65, but my neck will be smooth dadgummit! Also, when I put the moisturizer on my face, I use my index fingers to smooth around my eyes and I gently massage up, not down, when I apply moisturizer everywhere else on my face. This is extremely anal retentive, but that is just me. :)

Every other morning, in addition to washing my face with Oil of Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash for Sensitive Skin and applying Oil of Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin all over my face and neck, I start by gently massaging Aveeno's Positively Radiant Skin Brightening Daily Scrub on my face - steering clear of the area around my eyes.



I love the way this stuff makes my face feel and look - my face actually appears more, well, radiant (hence the name) after I use it - and additionally, it smells wonderful.

The price is one of the best parts of this routine:

Oil of Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash for Sensitive Skin = @$4.50 at Wal-Mart for 7 fl oz
Oil of Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin = @$8 at Wal-Mart for 6 fl oz
Aveeno's Positively Radiant Skin Brightening Daily Scrub = @$6.50 for 5 fl oz

Now, what skin care routine has given you the best results? I really want to know.

4 comments:

Annette M. said...

I was using Olay for a while but I wanted something that absorbed more quickly. It seemed to be a little runny and "less substantial" of a face cream. I recently started using eb5 facial cream and I love it. It's fragrance free, goes on smooth and makes my skin feel great!

Stephanie said...

Well you got me started with the Olay face wash in college. I still use that :)

A few months ago, I started breaking out and so I got a prescription cream from the dermatologist that I use. That is NOT inexpensive! But when my face feels really dry, I've been using Jergens Age-Defying lotion. Not that I feel like my age needs defying, I just liked that it wasn't too oily and seemed to moisturize well :)

Oh I also use Neutrogena make-up removal cloths, particularly to remove mascara. I was just trying to scrub it off with a towel, but the skin under my eyes was appearing puffy and wrinkly from so much tugging. The cloths are much better!

skin whitening beginner said...

Hello.
I am interested in OLAY.
I am worried about my neck wrinkle...
I try it.Thank you for giving info.

buy medication online said...

I like to the OLAY. Nice information and positive energy.